While there is debate on the exact origins of the Valentine’s Day holiday and traditions (if you want more information check out this great NPR article), one thing we do know is that the holiday has grown into a multi-billion dollar industry in the United States. While some claim to dislike it, we happen to like it because it is a holiday that champions print. Since 1913, when Hallmark first created their version of the Valentine, giving cards to loved ones has been at the center of Valentine’s Day traditions. As the years progressed it has only grown in popularity.
Five Facts About Valentine’s Day
- Valentine’s day is the second most popular holiday for giving greeting cards. Annually, 141 Million Valentine’s day cards are exchanged. The most popular greeting card holiday is Christmas where 1.6 billion cards are purchased annually.
- Aside from Valentine’s day being celebrated in the US it is also celebrated in other countries. Other observers of the holiday include Canada, UK, Japan, Italy, France, Denmark, Australia, and Mexico.
- Get your Valentine’s Day shopping done before February 8th if you want the best selection of cards and gifts. According to Hallmark Over 50% of the cards given on the holiday are purchased six days prior to the actual holiday.
- In 2015 the US spent $18.9 billion on Valentine’s day gifts including candy, flowers, jewelry and clothing. $52.2 million alone was spent on just flowers making it the top gift giving on the holiday.
- American’s love their pets and on Valentine’s day in 2015 it showed. Roughly $700 million was spent on Valentine’s Day gifts for pets.
If you are celebrating Valentine’s Day this year, download our printable Valentine’s Day cards. Our design team has been hard at work helping you spread the love!