We hope everyone has a great holiday season. Here are 10 secure shipping tips, that provide options to help ensure your important packages reach their destination.
- Don’t send cash in the mail. Checks and money orders are safer than cash and may be cancelled or reissued in the event of theft.
- Try not to leave delivered mail and packages unattended. Mail and packages shouldn’t be left in mailboxes or on front porches for any length of time.
- Use an alternate shipping address. Deliver packages to neighbors who are home during the day or get packages delivered at work, if permitted.
- Change the package’s address — while it’s in transit! Prior to delivery, most domestic package shipments can be redirected back to the sender, to a new address or to the Post Office to be held for pickup.
- Customize the delivery. If the package doesn’t fit in the mailbox and the customer won’t be home to receive it, the customer can provide delivery instructions online and authorize the carrier to leave it in a specified location.
- Plan ahead. Pick up your package. When shipping packages, customers can choose to hold their package for pick up and the recipients can collect the packages at their local Post Office.
- Going out of town? Hold your mail. Instead of risking leaving a package unattended for an extended period of time, letters and packages can be held securely at the local Post Office until the customer’s return.
- Secure the shipment using a Signature. A signature helps ensure the package ends up in the right hands by requiring a signature at the time of delivery.
- Special delivery. For the most valuable packages, customers can opt for Registered Mail service. Registered Mail receives special handling from the time it’s mailed until it’s delivered.
- PO Boxes. Customers concerned about the security of their mail can rent a Post Office Box at their local Post Office. The mail remains secure within the Post Office, accessible only when using the right key or combination.
Learn more at usps.com/holidaynews